Friday, June 12, 2009

Semi Colon


1. Semicolons separate independent thoughts when one thought is not more important than the other: In other words, the thoughts are related and equal.

The new restaurant is very popular; patrons often wait two hours for a table.
I love chocolate cake; german chocolate is my favorite.

2. Use a semicolon to separate independent thoughts joined with a conjunctive adverb, i.e., however, nevertheless, for instance, further, etc.

I can run a 5k race; however, I never come in first.
I never come in first in a 5k race; nevertheless, I run in at least four races a year.

3. Use a semicolon to separate items in series when one of the items contains a comma.

Conferences will be held in Chicago, Illinois; Detroit, Michigan; and Columbus, Ohio.
For sale: leather jacket, size 10; suede full-length coat, size 8.

4. Use a semicolon to separate independent thoughts joined by a coordinating conjunction when one of the thoughts contains a comma.

When I started working at ABC Company, I was never home; so I had to find a doggy day care provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment